Wednesday, November 5, 2008

President Elect Barack Obama

It was good to type that article title, I am happy and amazed that Obama won. Even though polling data showed differently, I was concerned that we in the US just would not vote for a black man, I was proved wrong, which is a good thing.

I am hoping that the change that was talked about during the campaign really shows up in the next 4 years.

I had the distinct honor of taking my 18 year old daughter to our polling place and she was able to vote for the first time. I can still remember her first day of school as she boarded the bus and waved goodbye to me, now to see her vote in her first Presidential Election

I caught the end of McCain's concession speech last night, if I had seen more of the man, in that speech, on the campaign trail, he might have gotten my vote. I had always respected McCain for his no nonsense approach to the issues, but his move to the right along with his pandering to the religious right and his choice for VP moved me out of his arena early. It was clear he had sold his soul to get the nomination and his campaign was run by the more undesirable elements of the Republican party, at least undesirable to me.

We have put our faith in Obama, I pray that he is up to the task and that Congress looks past the special interest groups and more toward the interests of the American People.

The problems in front of Obama are large and complex, he has my support on a lot of the issues, I hope he has the support of congress as well.

No comments: